Friday, 18 March 2016

Black Man, RISE!

    

Biography

Since the 1990s, Angry has contributed songs and played on many hit records. He wrote Christina Aguilera's "Slow Down Baby", Ja Rule's "Real Life Fantasy" and Melanie Fiona's "Priceless". He also played on records by Robbie Williams, Joss Stone and also toured with D'Angelo.

In 2010 he was the musical director for Off the Wall: A Michael Jackson Tribute. In 2013 he received a Grammy nomination as part of The Roots' record Undun.

On many occasions Angry collaborated with Cindy Blackman, Mike Mangini, Tom "Bones" Malone, David Gilmore, Betty Wright and James Poyser. He has also worked with Patti LaBelle, Louie Vega, Jeremiah, Mobb Deep, Peter Gallagher and Elliott Yamin. His nickname is "Mister Goldfinger".
Discography

    1996 - Yolanda Adams Live in Washington
    2003 - Sandy Rivera - In the House
    2004 - Joss Stone - Mind Body & Soul
    2004 - Mick Jagger and Dave Stewart - Alfie
    2006 - Robbie Williams - Rudebox
    2006 - Christina Aguilera - Back to Basics
    2007 - Mark Ronson - Version
    2008 - Taylor Dayne - Satisfied
    2009 - Melinda Doolittle - Coming Back to You
    2009 - Diane Birch - Bible Belt
    2009 - Melanie Fiona - The Bridge
    2010 - Daniel Merriweather - Love & War
    2010 - Miguel - All I Want Is You
    2010 - Chiara Civello - 7752
    2010 - Jaheim - Another Round
    2010 - The Roots - How I Got Over
    2011 - Dionne Warwick - Only Trust Your Heart
    2011 - Ayọ - Billie-Eva
    2011 - The Roots - Undun
    2011 - Nikki Jean - Pennis In A Jar
    2012 - Esperanza Spalding - Radio Music Society
    2012 - DJ Khaled - Kiss the Ring
    2012 - Joss Stone - The Soul Sessions Vol. 2
    2012 - Ja Rule - PIL2
    2012 - Estelle - All of Me
    2013 - James Maddock - Another Life
    2013 - Elvis Costello and The Roots - Wise Up Ghost & Other Songs
    2013 - John Legend - Love In The Future
    2013 - Jaheim - Appreciation Day
    2014 - Dianne Reeves - Beautiful Day
    2014 - The Roots - …And Then You Shoot Your Cousin
^
^
^
^
^
^
Ray basically made me believe I can be a musician in hip-hop/rap.
We met briefly in 2013.
We jammed together on New York Raining in 2014.
We performed together at SOBs in 2015.
He called me today.
I am still in awe that he thinks I'm a worthy pianist.
I try unconventional methods of what he does on the piano.
But my two motivations (other than him) will ALWAYS be Thelonious Monk and Alston "Jr." Farley.
 
Farley is a piano MASTER.
His chords should probably be as banned as mine were in London.
His improv is like a Twista freestyle on lean, to a Dip Set beat.

I love him.

I want to play more keys.
Lately (as evidenced by The Reaper Series), I've been treating my laptop as an MPC and synthesizer.
So my fingers have to get reacquainted with the piano.
I have a DOPE Alesis keyboard, but it's only USB.
I need a jam session.

I played the piano at my mother's funeral.
That's the last time I played the piano.
Felt like it was going to be the last time I played the piano, ever.
Whatever.
I gotta learn how to cope better.

This post is basically letting Black men know that the world will not be handed to them.
You have to outstretch your hands and prepare for the future yourself.
No one will do it for you.
And acting like the norm will not get you out of the prerequisite purgatory that comes with being a Black man.
There is a such thing as being sophisticated-ly ratchet (rachit).


Practice it.









~follow the buzzards~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.