Sunday, 18 September 2016

Why Questlove Hates Me.



One LA night, George Massa, some friends of his and myself went to Low End Theory in LA.
An underground hip-hop spot.

Not sure how underground it is now.

Anyway, Questlove was DJing.

I was cool with that.

But his set was all J Dilla.

I gritted my teeth (because NO ONE loves J Dilla more than me), but it as still cool.

He played some unreleased Dilla.
Kinda cool.

But the issue came when I heard a Players remix.
He literally made Slum Village look at Dilla like he was a tier under him.

Him being Questlove.

Instead of being in awe, I hated.
Hard.

I hated on Questlove.

Before his set was finished.
And boy, did he have some surprises.

Hearing Wiestlove playing drums over J Dilla beats is like nothing you've ever heard before.

And it shut me up.

Alas, because I am loud when I think to myself, Questlove heard me and proceeded to beat the crap out of me.

In my head.

Or was it physical?

Regardless, I have a fear... a new fear in my heart and respect for Questlove.

So right now, my top two musicians in Black music are J Dilla and Questlove.

But then I thought about he rest of The Roots.
And I realized how deeply disrespectful to them I've been.

Only recently have I been listening to their music.

But I have a good reason.
Much like John Legend and Andre 3000, they did and were doing what I always wanted to do with music.
So I avoided them at all costs, to keep from being inspired by future competition.

Then I remembered, music isn't a competition.
It's a language.
And they mastered the art of urban instrumentation/instrumentalism.

So, tonight is to The Roots.
I believe, if you can conquer my fear, that you are the roots to the Indus Tree, of which myself, J Dilla, George Massa and (of course) Jack Splash were first grounded on.

I thank you.

Now make me believe.




Shouts to Ray Angry.



~follow the buzzards~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.