Wednesday, 1 February 2017

Black History's Blunt pt. 4: "This is a warning..."



(from Wikipedia)

Patrick Denard Douthit (born January 15, 1975), better known as 9th Wonder, is a hip hop record producer, record executive, DJ, lecturer, and rapper from Midway, North Carolina, U.S. He began his career as the main producer for the group Little Brother in Durham, North Carolina, and has also worked with Mary J. Blige, Jean Grae, Wale, Jay-Z, Murs, Drake, Buckshot, Chris Brown, Destiny's Child, J. Cole, Kendrick Lamar, Erykah Badu, Ludacris, Mac Miller, David Banner, Lecrae, Jill Scott, Big Boi, Rapsody, and Anderson .Paak. As of 2010, 9th Wonder raps under the name of 9thmatic.

9th Wonder has a smooth and soulful production style that relies on samples from artists such as Al Green and Curtis Mayfield. He attributes the bass lines that he uses in production to DJ Premier, Pete Rock and J Dilla, while he claims to have learned the sampling of "Wails and moans" from other works of music and where to position them in his songs from RZA.
^
^
^
That's step one to this blog entry.

(from Wikipedia)

Shawn Corey Carter (born December 4, 1969),] known professionally as Jay Z, is an American rapper, businessman, and investor. Formerly known as Jay-Z, he is one of the best-selling musicians of all time, having sold more than 100 million records, while receiving 21 Grammy Awards for his music. MTV ranked him the "Greatest MC of all time" in 2006. Rolling Stone ranked three of his albums—Reasonable Doubt (1996), The Blueprint (2001), and The Black Album (2003)—among the 500 greatest albums of all time. In 2014, Forbes estimated his net worth at nearly $520 million, making him one of the richest hip hop artists in the U.S.

Jay Z co-owns the New York 40/40 Club sports bar, and is the co-creator of the clothing line Rocawear. He is the former president of Def Jam Recordings, co-founder of Roc-A-Fella Records, and the founder of the entertainment company Roc Nation. He also founded the sports agency Roc Nation Sports and is a certified NBA and MLB sports agent. As an artist, he holds the record for most number one albums by a solo artist on the Billboard 200 with 13. He has also had four number ones on the Billboard Hot 100, one as lead artist. In 2009 he was ranked the tenth-most successful artist of the 2000s by Billboard as well as the fifth top solo male artist and fourth top rapper behind Eminem, Nelly, and 50 Cent. He was also ranked the 88th-greatest artist of all time by Rolling Stone.

Jay Z married American R&B singer Beyoncé in 2008. Their daughter, Blue Ivy Carter, was born on January 7, 2012.
^
^
^
Step two, complete(d).

Now.
9th is a very influential producer.
In fact, he's a nice guy.
I met him in DC during the Inauguration of Obama.
We shared a laugh about collecting records.
But in the industry, he has a bad reputation for being ...callous.
I haven't experienced the dark side of 9th Wonder, but I'm aware it exists.

I believe he's in my blood line.

Why did I post information about Jay(-Z) on a potential post about 9th?

No matter how "big" Jay gets/got, he wasn't on ANYONE'S radar until the 9th Wonder-produced "Threat".
It was the first time he took on an Internet-buzzing producer's work and REALLY went in.
9th was HUGE in the 'burbs.
Almost Em status with whiteboys.
Dilla was a rarity, both online and in record stores.
The Alchemist was working with artists deemed "too gutter" for suburbia, despite his suburban upbringing.
Primo and PR were also "unaccessible".
9th was SoundClick's superstar.

So when Jay hopped on a 9th beat, it made everyone wake up to the forceful ambiance of Jay-Z.
Like, "introducing to some, presenting to others" type shit.

On the flipside, Jay is an A-list celebrity.
It was a great look for 9th to be featured on The Black Album.
Say what you will about his (ahem) ventures outside of music/philanthropy.
He's made his mark in the mainstream.

These two working together signified Black solidarity.
They both (TECHNICALLY) started from the bottom.
But no one can deny the chemistry displayed on that record.



^
^
^
9th has remixed Jay's work many times since "Threat".
But they should've and should record a collaborative album.
For the culture.

Now.
BEYOND the Black-man shells of Jay-Z and 9th Wonder belies a gut-wrenching story, involving both SEGA and Nintendo.

BUT GUESS WHAT?!

I'm Atari!

I don't have to talk about SHIT!!!!

NOW!!!

The Black Market (of which 9th and Jay dwell) has left me confused and heartbroken.
I can sit here and tell you Jay-Z is Madonna/Mary Nintendo.
I can sit here and tell you 9th is the mother of Mary Nintendo.
At the same time, I can tell you they are both Reptilians, trying to survive in a not-so-reptilian friendly Earth.

But why?

On a personal front, they've been douches to me.
On a professional front, I don't even exist to them.

Well, maybe 9th can get a pass.
He smiled and shook my hand.
But with 9th being (name censored for MY OWN DAMN SANITY), I still hold resentment for certain "disciplinary actions".

I never disrespected you, 9th.
No matter how many times Egypt told me to.

As far as Jay, that's Jeff.
As much as I WANTED to admire him, he made it hella difficult when we lived together.
I have a standard for living.
It doesn't have to be understood by ANYONE.
So NO ONE has the right to enter the place I dwell and TELL ME HOW TO LIVE.
Or that I need to live life "the right way".

Nigga, you sold crack.
Nigga, LOOK WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO (name censored for MY OWN DAMN SANITY).

Don't tell me my mysticism disturbs your feng shui.
I left you and that world THE FUCK ALONE.

Neither of you know the voices I hear.
If you can't already hear them.
BOTH of you have and can benefit off/from me.

Not to Hov it, but THIS IS MY WORLD.
No matter HOW LATE TO THE PARTY I AM.

But...
This is about Black love.

So, to my brothers 9th Wonder and Jay-Z, I salute you.
I just would like to see you guys work together again.

9th, props for the chops.
Jay, thanks for the flow.

It's safe to say you two are forefathers of post-apocalyptic Hamiltonian music.

"Don't let it go to your head, no..."









Warning, issued.

Not like there's much I can do.
They're family.





















~follow the buzzards~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.