Let it be said that I appreciated ALL of the performers and performances. Overnight I forgot names, but they’re all on the flyer. I wish them all the best of luck. They got the right eyes on them, and they rose to the occasion.
I also want it said that cigarettes are death agents for artists. As therapeutic as they (technically) can be, your breath is connected to your voice. As a musician-moonlighting-as-a-revolutionist, it took for me not being able to speak this morning to realize that… my voice is more important than my synthetic orgasm.
I wish my mom knew what her voice meant to me. I can access our random memories, but… it’s not the same. And she would want me to soldier on. I know my dad’s voice better than he does. He quit smoking. Now he’s remarried, in the same state he was born and raised in. I don’t really know that many smokers. And the few I do know are substituting their real vice for a cig.
Only one cig today! It’s been 3 a day for a week, and chain smoking (out of nervousness) for MONTHS. Even cigars. My breathing, speaking, singing and MCing have been impacted by this. I’m actually workinonit. I promised Harlem a show at SOBs, and I’m not one to break those.
Earlier on X, I admitted to utilizing some of Lupe’s wordplay in my own work. Not exact bars, but… technique and delivery of… really whatever. But yeah, I can acknowledge Lupe as someone I been measuring my own against. And like I said on X, we talked about it (on tour together), laughed about it, and exchanged notes.
I didn’t bite. I built.
Much like the artists from last night’s showcase.
Expect footage, soon.
~#~