The blog about DJ Premier

I have a tendency to give flowers to the most random, yet crucial time(s). DJ Premier came to mind today, seemingly out of nowhere. And even though I have my biases (J Dilla, DJ Jazzy Jeff, etc.), I think highly and fondly of The Talented Mr. Martin.

Growing up in Harlem (at the time), I always heard Gang Starr or Premier-produced records. Likely because I would listen to Future Flavas and Stretch and Bob. So I always took a liking to his sound. But it was the Gang Starr record "Discipline" that made me look at him like a sensei.

From there, he became like a hip-hop barometer. If you couldn't see Premier supporting or being behind it, it wasn't hip-hop. Now, I pride myself on being Rock and Roll. Still, I am rather Acid Jazz and deeply Gospel. Like a Premier beat, all those sauces are blended within and baked to flawless imperfection.

Our styles and STYLINGS are pretty different. But the fundamentals of lacing a tight beat for a dope MC to go for broke on is still present. I probably wouldn't be into hip-hop as much without Primo (Em/Dre excluded; they're like Acid Jazz).





Thank you, DJ Premier.

Inspiration forever.






#therebirth

FreshOffThePresses

“Yeah. Thanks for meeting me here.”

This post is for StarChasers. Old and new. I’ve learned not to make excuses (moreso in recent years). In taking accountability, there’s no e...