As I listen to The Pink Lavalamp and prepare to perform it IN FULL on my birthday, I find it incredibly hard to find newer music of mine (2012-present) that can measure up to/follow-up A LIVE performance of TPL.
So I might not be djing that night. At least for an after party. The Pink Lavalamp is THAT AWESOME. It’s to where… I don’t want to listen to anything else, for the whole day! I really put my foot in this album.
It’s not about writing, or that my newer music isn’t good. It’s a completely different vibration all around. ESPECIALLY my 2026 stuff. The music on the website reflects a newly found appreciation for freedom, as well as music from the Lavalamp-Hamiltonization era. I can definitely do it. I just don’t want backlash saying my music since TPL can’t hold a candle to it or music made from that era.
I’m tired of explaining myself. I had an inflated sense of self during The Pink Lavalamp. Bad Harlem chick, bad Harlem side chick, a Harlem crew, and a whole double life that included poetry, sex, drugs and beats. My memories come back in flashes, and only remind me of how publicly private I was. Harlem knew I was on drugs, no matter how much I deny it. I was imagining myself making the songs I make NOW, BACK THEN. That’s why I’m so proud of my current work.
But FUCK.
The Pink Lavalamp is The Tower.
I guess because I KNOW what I did for it is why I’m not beating my chest about it. But this is what a proper CH album sounds like. Do I feel I’ve done better? Yes. “My Brain Is Alive” and “Mr. Black Cat”. But the nostalgia and overall touch of the album make it one-of-one.
But what happens when and if I do it again? Is it still one-of…? What if ALL my music from 2012-202present were one-ofs, meant to be enjoyed with discretion?
“Something you should think about while you walk around…”
-Charles Hamilton, “Savannah”
#CH